We all make mistakes when it comes to ANT radio service. We regard them as the Bluetooth equivalent in apps on the phone. It is logical for us to think that way.
We regard it as the equivalent of the Bluetooth stack which allows us to use the Bluetooth on our phones. But that is not the case.
Most phones have the Ant radio service installed by the manufacturer.
It happens that if you end up deleting the Bluetooth support in your phone, you might delete the ANT+ devices also.
However, if there are no apps making use of the ANT radio service, it may consume a discernable amount of power.
- Learn Details About What is ANT Radio Service?
- What is ANT Plus?
- What devices use ANT+?
- Purpose of ANT radio service
- Benefits And Problems Of Using ANT service
- How To Use ANT Radio
- Popular Apps with ANT
- ANT+ vs Bluetooth
- Is there any need for ANT Radio?
- What is the Use of ANT+ in Samsung?
- What is ANT Plugins’ service?
- How to make use of ANT plus on Android supported devices
- Final Words
Learn Details About What is ANT Radio Service?
The ANT radio service is a structure installed by the manufacturer of your phone. This ANT radio allows the pre-installed communication device present in your phone to work. Although, it is similar to wireless connectivity.
This characteristic wouldn’t work unless you make use of an app that requires it to function. Examples are the pairing fitness devices you have on your Samsung Galaxy device.
This device of the specification can be installed on your Mobile App. It is pre-installed by the manufacturer as an Android update. This ANT communication hardware is present in your device but requires you to activate it.
What is ANT Plus?
You can communicate with ANT+ products easily with the ANT. For the ANT+ you cannot delete or launch it directly.
With apps activated by the ANT+, you can collect and transfer data. If you want to collect, transfer health and fitness data in real-time, the ANT+ helps you do that.
Compatible products or devices solely rests on the third-party Android Application. Although, the ANT plus makes sure Bluetooth connectivity works fine.
However, these plugins do not have any user launcher icon. They only run in the background to connect with the phone’s wireless components.
What devices use ANT+?
If you are using an Android device (version 3.0) or any other device higher than that but allows USB functions. Then your device makes use of the ANT USB stick plus a USB OTG also known as the On The Go cable.
None the less, the Nexus and Pixel phones make use of ANT+ We shouldn’t also forget the Huawei products as their recent P9, P10, as well as P8, enable the ANT+.
This list would be incomplete if we fail to mention the Samsun series. The Galaxy S5, S6, S7, and S8 all have the ANT+ pre-installed.
If your device doesn’t have the ANT radio service, you would need to install the ANT Radio Service, ANT+ Plugins as well as the ANT USB service too.
Furthermore, devices that run on Android version 2.3.4, higher and have no USB host ability can make use of the Android ANT + accessory too.
The first thing that your mobile device must support is the Android protocol. On Google Play Store (If you use an Android phone) the self-loop ANT can be found as an app for installation.
This means that your device supports the required Android protocol to run The ANT radio service however, you would need the self-loops ANT service also plus a USB A and USB B micro-cable.
The following and many others like these are devices that support the ANT+
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Xperia T2 Ultra
- Xperia Z2 Tablet
- Xperia M2
- Xperia M2 (Sony Mobile)
- Xperia Z2 (Sony Mobile)
- Xperia Z1 S (Sony Mobile)
- Xperia Z1 Compact (Sony Mobile)
- Xperia Z1 (Sony Mobile)
- Xperia Z Ultra (Sony Mobile)
- Xperia SL (Sony Mobile)
- Xperia acro S (Sony Mobile)
Purpose of ANT radio service
The purpose of ANT radio service at times is to lower power consumption than Bluetooth. Unlike the Bluetooth connection, the ANT radio service uses less power.
Sometimes it can be an unnecessary service for individuals who don’t use it. However, one of its purposes can be to save power.
Furthermore, the radio plays the role of a real-time communicator. It establishes communication between your health monitoring device and your phone. The radio service doesn’t affect your phone network signal in any form.
Benefits And Problems Of Using ANT service
The following are the benefits of Using the ANT service
- The ANT service is open to everyone and designed for all apps. It allows compatibility from all devices.
- While using the ANT service you can monitor and store data in real-time. For example, you can monitor your heart rate while running.
- The Universality of the ANT radio service is another benefit. While using it you can extend its provision to all other smartphones. This feature supports inter-connectivity between sensors and displays.
- While using the ANT service on your phone, you can share data in real-time. Let us say you have a PC and a bike computer. It is very possible to share data from your PC to your bike computer and vice-versa.
- It is simple to use as it doesn’t require any manual installation.
- When using the ANT function you create a given node of the network. With this network, you master from one channel to another channel. The complex network can be formed through this method.
The following are the problems of Using ANT services
- Using it might cause huge battery consumption.
- For ANT services to function, you need antennas. Phones have antennas already but these antennas can be interrupted.
- There are complaints that the ANT services don’t work on upgraded Android versions.
- For example, you may be using an Android 9 update on a Nokia 6.1. After this upgrade, the ANT+ support might stop working. In fact, previously Android 8.x. upgrade doesn’t work with the ANT Radio services
How To Use ANT Radio
It is very possible to move data from ANT devices to Android. However, that is just one of its uses. How can you use the ANT Radio?
- First, if you make use of an Android version 3.0 and above, your device supports USB host capabilities.
- You use an ANT USB stick with a USB OTG cable during this process. To make the process easy we would be using some smartphone models.
- Install the ANT radio service, ANT plus plugins, and the ANT USB service. Most times, these provisions are already on your phone and they are system applications.
- If you use an android which doesn’t support USB host capabilities.
- You can use Android ANT plus accessory.
- Then you download some Selfloop ANT service from the Google Play Store.
- This would ensure that your device supports the necessary Android access protocol.
- A normal USB A to USB micro cable might be needed for the installation process if the accessory doesn’t support ANF-FS.
Popular Apps with ANT
The following are a list of popular apps with ANT
- Samsung S Health
- Garmin Fit
- Sports Tracker by STL
- My Tracks
- Run GPS Trainer UV
- IpBike IpWatts, IpPeloton, IpSmartHr
- Sporty Pal
- Map My FITNESS/RIDE/RUN/WALK+/HIKE/DOG WALK
How To remove ANT service
There are different opinions concerning how to disable or remove the ANT service radio. You can disable it totally.
As long as you are not using the ANT-enabled devices like the fitness trackers you can disable them.
However, you cannot uninstall them because it is standard software. You can only disable the service by following the manufacturer’s directive.
Your phone’s software will not be affected after this process. So do not fear. If you want to install it later just enable the ANT plus service.
How CB radio differs from Ham radio know the basics.
ANT+ vs Bluetooth
The following are a few comparison points between the ANT plus and Bluetooth.
- The Bluetooth has 4 large huge coattails. This provision makes Bluetooth standard on every mobile device in the world. However, the ANT isn’t standard for all devices.
- The ANT can be used to connect one thing to multiple other devices. While the Bluetooth can only take it one at a time. Let us take an example here. if you have an ANT plus heart rate monitor you can connect it to three different computers all at once. This means that you can view the data on three different computers in real-time. However, Bluetooth only allows one computer at a time. This means that you have to disconnect the first before connecting to the next.
- Bluetooth party allows you to connect to platforms like Zwift. Zwift is a massively multiplayer online and cycling program. However, ANT plus has a few specialized apps for connectivity.
- Nowadays Bluetooth is equipped with a power meter app. Unlike the ANT plus which uses less power but has no power meter. The Bluetooth has an edge over the ANT plus when power regulation is involved.
- For the ANT plus power meter, we have two power sensors. These left and right power sensors are connected to each other. For riders, the power sensor links up with the computer bicycle. Furthermore, the slave sensor links up with the master sensor before linking up with the computer. In all, the ANT has specified strata of sending and receiving data.
- Unlike the Bluetooth which has a power meter each. If you are a rider, the bicycle computer only links up with both power sensors immediately.
Is there any need for ANT Radio?
The use of the ANT Radio service is very dependent on how you use your phone. It is very possible to get an improved battery life after uninstalling the ANT Radio service.
But if you are a workout enthusiast this provision is meant for you. You would be needing wearable devices like the Samsung gear.
What is the Use of ANT+ in Samsung?
The use of the ANT+ in Samsung cannot be overemphasized. First, it allows for the function of the S Health app.
The S Health app is a hub for fitness and all other health-related activity. Samsung Note 3, S4, S4 mini devices, and many others.
Samsung is the only Android maker having the largest devices that allow for ANT and ANT+
The Samsung S Health app is divided into different several cores. Cores like the Exercise mate, food tracker, Walking mate, comfort level, and weight tracking.
The exercise mate works well with sensor devices and pairing devices. While the Walking mate functions well with the accelerometer, the comfort level reads your emotions.
You can record various activities such as running, jumping, cycling, walking, or anything else. Samsung’s ANT+ is unmatched.
This ultra-wireless protocol for exchanging data over short distances is ultra-low. It works on small coin cell batteries.
It works in a broadcast mode which can be obtained from different displays at the same time.
The heart rate (HR) is the most common ANT plus a profile on Samsung. As the name suggests, it allows you to monitor your heart rate.
It is used by many other heart rate monitors in the market today. Specific use, case, and real-time data are displayed in your profile.
Here is a quick list of ANT+ profiles supported by Samsung
- Bicycle Speed and Cadence. S&C
- Activity (ACT)
- Blood Pressure (BP)
- Bicycle Power (PWR)
- Blood Pressure (BP)
- Weight scale (WGT)
What is ANT Plugins’ service?
This system service works perfectly with the ANT Radio service. Communication between the plugin’s service and the ANT increases the ANT’s efficiency.
And allows compatible products like SRAM RED 2012, Speedboxll, Speed Sensor/GT10 to work efficiently. They can also be added as an update from the android carrier manufacturer.
How to make use of ANT plus on Android supported devices
You can make use of the ANT+ radio service for several health purposes. But one question that lingers on in our minds is; how do we get to start using it?
Step 1. Make sure you put on your Bluetooth. From the settings section of the phone. You select Bluetooth. Then put on Bluetooth.
Step 2. Put on the ANT+ and the Bluetooth sensors would wake.
Step 3. Check the connect sensor screen for the ANT+ listing.
Step 4. Link the device and your sensor. In some android devices, you would need to place the Bluetooth on.
The ANT+ technology allows you to track sports, fitness as well as health data. It is easy to use and allows you to measure activity in real-time.
It is possible to keep all data on different devices. The ANT plus and the ANT plugins work seamlessly to provide the best experience.
- Top 13 Best Floating Screen Car Stereo | The Comprehensive Buying Guide & Reviews
- 10 Best Ham/CB Radio Power Supplies in 2023 (Reviews)
- Top 10 Best Aftermarket Radios For Jeep Wrangler (January 2023 Updated) – Review & Buying Guide
- The 12 Best FM Transmitter Stations in 2023 (Buying Guide)
- 10 Best Ham Radio Base Stations of 2023 Reviews (Expert Recommendation)