Communication is continually evolving with new technologies being adopted, facilitating the smooth flow of information.
With the latest technology, communication does not have to be complicated or expensive.
Long-range communication is no longer a concern due to the availability of cell phones.
Short-range communication during a retreat, or when you are off the grid, is managed using radio frequencies.
The Baofeng radio range is making it possible for commercial use such as hospitals and schools.
- Baofeng UV-5R Range
- How To Improve Baofeng Radio Range?
- Features of 1st Generation Baofeng Radio
- 2nd Generation Features
- 3rd Generation Features
- Where To Use Baofeng Radio?
- How To Use Baofeng Radio?
- How To Program For Customization With Channels, Buttons?
- What is Baofeng Radio?
- Are Baofeng Radios Legal To Use?
- How To Use Baofeng Radio Legally?
- Which Bands Care Permitted For Use?
- Purpose of Using Baofeng Radios
- Benefits of Using Baofeng Radios
- Limitations of Baofeng Radio
- Baofeng Radio Wattage
- Available Models in The Market
- Baofeng Radio Cost
- The FAQ’s About Baofeng Radio Range
- Final Words
Baofeng UV-5R Range
A typical Baofeng UV-5R is a transceiver, meaning that it can receive and transmit.
The Baofeng radio range will depend on several things like obstacles, propagation, and power mode.
Additionally, the range is affected if one is in a city set up. A full battery and a radio in maximum power mode should give you between 10 to 20 km.
Baofeng UV-5R Frequency Range
Your handheld radio should be able to attain a frequency ranging from 136 MHz to 174 MHz and between 400 MHz and 480 MHz.
Later versions of the radio can achieve up to 520 MHz.
That is not all; your economical transceiver has a special VHF with a receive band of between 65 to 108 MHz that incorporates a regular band for broadcasting FM.
The radio also supports dual reception and dual watch.
How To Improve Baofeng Radio Range?
Your standard HAM radio has the maximum distance it can cover even when under a full battery.
You may want to increase the theBaofeng radio range to pick more signals for your communication.
A common way of improving the scope of coverage is to upgrade the antenna.
You will receive better signals with an upgraded antenna even with increased distance.
With a long antenna than the stock one, you have higher chances of receiving and transmitting quality signals.
For instance, if you upgrade from your 5-inch stock rubber antenna to 14.5 inches, there will be a difference.
You will be able to improve your frequency range by 15 km.
Features of 1st Generation Baofeng Radio
The original product was launched in 2012. The features of the 1st generation Baofeng radio include the following:
- The radio has power settings for low and high at 1W and 4W respectively
- The amateur radio is programmable
- Radio reception for FM channels ranges between 65 to 108 MHz frequency
- VHF and UHF settings for the radio are available
- Channel names are customizable, same to Boot Display with a programming cable
- Has a durable battery of 1500mAh
- Broadband and narrowband are selectable on the radio
- Comes with a keypad lock
- Supports dual reception and dual watch
- Has an inbuilt flashlight for night visibility
- The radio supports dual standby and dual display
2nd Generation Features
The 2nd generation of the radio was updated and launched late in 2013 with the following features:
- The model has a better anti-interference set up due to an upgrade to the SQ
- The radio is enhanced to eliminate the tone of the new tail especially when transmission and reception of the signal is between 50 and 55 MHz
- There is an improvement with the AGV receiver switching noise during severe changes in signal strength
- Powerful audio and digital processor for better sound quality no matter reception conditions
- Minimal distortion during a crossover
- Circuit current of the radio is low quiescent courtesy of the IC amplifier
- Minimal or no capabilities for cloning
- Display voltage of the radio by holding ‘0.’
- Smooth transmission on narrowband and wideband
- Dual watch reception enabled
- FM radio reception capable with priority given to incoming calls
- The model supports group tones
3rd Generation Features
The third generation comes as a timely upgrade on the second generation with additional features that include the following:
- Double power output from the standard 4 watts to 8 watts
- The radio is more durable and hardened with a battery that is large by 30%
- Double antenna performance from the previous model for broader reach
- Three power settings for low, medium, and high power
- Easy to select narrow and broadband
- Comes with a user manual for ease of use
- Warranty support and customer help from the manufacturer
- Comes with a programming cable for ease of programming
- The radio has a battery power of 2000 mAh
- Comes with a tricolor display for the radio screen
- Seven-inch antenna for more frequency gain
- Comes with a push to talk button
Where To Use Baofeng Radio?
Baofeng radio can be used at commercial establishments such as schools and hospitals for communication purposes.
Staff members from the security department are significant beneficiaries of the receiver.
Additionally, the radio can be used during outdoor activities where teams need to communicate from different locations.
Baofeng radio can also be used in emergencies where a cell phone network may be a problem.
Access to frequencies using the radio will enable you to get critical information and much-needed help.
You can also use Baofeng radio in your home for FM radio broadcasting and getting weather updates.
How To Use Baofeng Radio?
The radio can be used in the following ways:
01. Call button – you can use this button to switch on the FM radio. If you are in an emergency, you will get critical information much faster. An alarm is also set using the button.
02. Push to talk button – if you need to communicate with other operators of HAM radio, this is the button to use. Usage is restricted to those with a license.
03. MONI button – the button is monitoring a specific frequency. It removes the level of squelch.
04. V/M button – you can use the button for switching between scanned frequencies and set channels.
05. A/B button – you can use the button for alternating between channel transmission and active listening.
06. BAND button – the button is used to switch between UHF and VHF frequencies that are set on your radio.
How To Program For Customization With Channels, Buttons?
Programming frequencies into your radio is essential. It helps you to identify vital frequencies that are non-amateur such as the fire department and city police. You can follow the below steps.
Step 1: Press VFO/MR on your radio and choose frequency mode
Step 2: Press A/B button and select A-side
Step 3: Choose your correct band as either 136 MHz for VHF or 470 MHz for UHF
Step 4: Disable dual standby mode by pressing the menu button, followed by 7 and back to the menu button. Select OFF from the down arrow and exit the process.
Step 5: Input frequency into your device
Step 6: Enter the transmission code as CTCSS/DCS
Step 7: Allocate frequency to the channel
What is Baofeng Radio?
Baofeng radio is a handheld radio device that facilitates communication over long ranges without using a cell phone.
The radio transmits communication via licensed frequencies and supports very high frequencies and ultra-high frequencies.
It is becoming common for commercial uses such as in municipalities and hospitals.
Are Baofeng Radios Legal To Use?
Legality is a question that boils down to complying with relevant certifications from authorities.
The straight answer is yes, if the radio complies with the FCC certification, specifically part 90.
Baofeng radios that operate within the specified frequencies are legal to use.
How To Use Baofeng Radio Legally?
Using Baofeng radio legally demands compliance with existing FCC regulations. Your Baofeng radio, therefore, needs to comply and operate within 144 to 148 Mhz and 430 to 450 Mhz for ultra-high frequencies. UV5R or UV5RA Baofeng radios will be your best bet. UV-5R V2+ will land you in problems as it transmits above 145 Mhz, which violates available operational bands.
Which Bands Care Permitted For Use?
There are exceptional cases for using some bands of Baofeng radio closer to the borders.
Operators of Amateur Radio can transmit frequencies between 144 and 148 Mhz for Very High Frequencies (VHF) and frequencies between 420 to 450 for Ultra High Frequencies (UHF).
Purpose of Using Baofeng Radios
Once you program your Baofeng radio, you can use it for several purposes. First, you can listen to the FM radio that comes with it.
You can get critical information if you are in an emergency by pressing the call button.
Additionally, you can use it to communicate with other operators of ham radio.
However, to communicate with other operators of ham radio, a license from FCC is required, failure to which can amount to hefty fines.
The radio can also be programmed to tune into weather update frequencies for relevant updates.
Benefits of Using Baofeng Radios
Baofeng users derive several benefits from using them. First, compared to other radios in the market, Baofeng radios are relatively cheaper to acquire.
Acquisition price usually is the great inhibitor of having one.
Secondly, Baofeng radios operate on both VHF and UHF, making them versatile for most communication uses.
It is much quicker and convenient to use the phone with the use of the single button for scanning.
You don’t need to go through the screen menu to start your scanning.
The phone also comes with a long-lasting battery with 2000 mAh that allows for extended use without requiring a recharge.
Such is ideal for activities or communication that happens remotely where source to power may be limited.
Baofeng radios will also allow you to access useful frequencies like weather updates and critical information you may need during an emergency once you program them well.
With the Push to Talk button, the radio allows you to communicate with other ham radio users, which is essential when communicating at events and other locations.
Additionally, the radio comes with a full software which makes it easy for future upgrades. What’s more?
The manufacturer also offers you technical support on your current software.
Limitations of Baofeng Radio
Baofeng radio has its shortcomings from the user experiences.
If you are looking for a robust build that will withstand extreme weather and few drops during usage, Baofeng radio is not the ideal choice.
The plastic case of the phone could be better to withstand more abuse in the field.
Additionally, the phone design has an easy feature for programming it.
However, you can only achieve the programming by use of a computer. The programing is therefore not easy as it calls for further efforts.
Visibility of the Baofeng radio during the day is also below par. The LED intensity of the screen is weak as a starting point.
Besides, when exposed to bright light, screen visibility becomes feeble.
Baofeng Radio Wattage
Baofeng radio comes with different settings for power output.
You can have your power settings at 1 Watt, 5 Watts or 8 Watts.
Even when the radio is on low power mode, it transmits more power.
Available Models in The Market
Baofeng radio models available in the market include the following:
- BF-F8HP radio which is a dial band and two-way operational
- UV5RA Ham which is a two-way radio
- BF-888S that transmits UHF
- UV-5R V2+ which is a two-way radio
- UV-82HP the Amateur portable type
Baofeng Radio Cost
With just $ 30 or below, you can get yourself a good Baofeng radio for your use. The average price range $30-$100 depending on the features and ranges.
The FAQ’s About Baofeng Radio Range
A genuine radio from Baofeng will serve you best. Once you settle on the brand, you can make your pick based on other factors.
No, it does not. Baofeng supports FM frequencies while airlines operate on AM frequencies.
They are not expensive; they go for as low as $ 30 for a decent unit.
Yes, you can improve the range with an external antenna different from the stock one.
Yes, the radio comes with warranty and customer support.
The Wattage for the radio is 1W, 5W, and 8W.
Yes, but you will require a license for that.
Yes, you can scan frequencies and channels with the radio.
No matter your expertise level, you can still find value with Baofeng radio.
Despite your needs and budget, there is a Baofeng radio suitable for that.
For a starter, a walkie talkie is your top bet among the Baofeng brand.
They come in twos at a minimum; hence you can share with friends.
Baofeng radios are handy, and at their affordable retailing price, they are worth the amount beating many competitors to it.
- 10 Best Dual Band DMR Radios in 2022 – Top Picks of Portable 2 Way Handheld VHF/UHF Mobile Radios
- Top 10 Best Cross Band Repeater Radio in 2022 Buying Guide
- Top 11 Best Marine TV Antenna Reviews in 2022 | Ensures High Performance + Buying Guide
- Micropower Broadcasting: A Technical Primer (How to Start a Micro-Radio Station)
- Top 10 Best Antenna Analyzer For The Money 2022 (Reviews & Buying Guide)