Are you looking for easy tips on how to reset Kenwood car radio?
This guide explains the steps you need to follow to fix errors or issues that may affect performance or render your stereo unusable.
Over the years, the makers of Kenwood stereos have been consistent in building and delivering exciting products with performance-enhancing features to the market.
This consistency has led to the brand’s wide popularity among car owners.
The Kenwood car stereos are not perfect. You may have to perform a reset on your stereo at any point in time when you experience any unusual activities or irregularities with performance or operation.
- Easy Steps of How To Reset Kenwood Car Radio
- 3 Best Kenwood Stereo
- FAQ’s of How To Reset Kenwood Car Stereo
Kenwood Stereo Features
These features may vary from one model to another. The latest/modern Kenwood stereos are equipped with most of these features, and they come at a price.
- 1-Din & 2-Din
- A wide range of sizes
- LCD display
- Touch screen display
- Customizable LED display illumination
- Dimmer & brightness control
- Supports a wide range of audio/video file formats
- GPS navigation
- Detachable and non-detachable faceplate
- Apple CarPlay
- Android Auto
- Built-in mic
- Loudness Control
- Hand-free calling
- Band equalizer
- Voice command
- Bluetooth connectivity
- USB & AUX terminal
- Audio/Video input & output
- Backup camera
|Kenwood KDC-BT23 + ALPHA|
Easy Steps of How To Reset Kenwood Car Radio
How do you know your Kenwood stereo need to reset?
Once you notice any usual behavior (acting strange) with your stereo, irrespective of how simple or complex it may be. A reset may be the right approach to fix or solve these issues.
Common problems/malfunctions that may require a simple/soft reset to correct includes:
- The stereo can’t communicate/connect with your smartphone
- Buttons won’t respond to command no matter how hard you attempt/try)
- The screen won’t respond to touch/swipe
In some situations, you may need to perform a factory or thorough reset. Especially if you aim to revise/restore your stereo back to brand new or achieve out-of-the-box settings.
Step By Step Guide For How to Factory Reset Kenwood Car Stereo
This section explains how to reset Kenwood car stereo across two popular models (KDC & Excelon DDX).
For the Kenwood KDC models
- You need a pointed tool: Get a tool with a pointed mount/end (screwdriver or pin) in place before you commence this process.
- Ensure the stereo is powered: Before you can perform a reset on your stereo, you must ensure it is powered/turned on. You do not have to keep the engine running or start the vehicle.
- Remove the faceplate: Once the stereo’s lights are on, which shows it is powered. Locate the faceplate detach button. Usually, this button is positioned in the bottom-left corner.
Once you find the button, press it to detach the faceplate from your stereo. Remove the faceplate carefully to prevent any form of damage.
- Perform the reset: Locate where the reset button is on your stereo (consult your user’s manual). Once found, press/hold the button for about 5 seconds using a screwdriver, pin, or any other pointed tools you can find around.
The final step is what completes the reset.
Note, the reset won’t be successful if you perform it without powering the stereo. Also, the reset button must be triggered not more than 5 seconds after the faceplate has been removed.
For the Kenwood Excelon DDX Models (Touchscreen)
If you have the Excelon DDX Kenwood stereos (touchscreen) installed on your vehicle. There are two types of reset that you may choose/decide to perform. These are Soft or Factory Reset.
A soft reset can be done to address minor issues such as unresponsive display or Bluetooth connectivity issues.
Performing a soft reset
- Get a pointed tool: Before you commence this process, get a pointed tool in place.
- Press the small red triangle button: This button can be found in the top-left corner. Press/hold it down with the tool (a screwdriver or pin) and release it in 5 seconds.
Performing a factory setting
- Get an assistant: To perform a factory reset on your stereo, you will need the help of another person along the way. Talk to a friend or family member about their availability.
- Press the eject CD & volume buttons: The Eject button and the volume button should be pressed simultaneously.
Here is where the assistance/help from your friend or family members comes into play. While still holding on to the volume and eject buttons.
Ask them to use a pointed tool (a pin or screwdriver) to press the reset button (the small red triangle button). The reset button is pressed once, and you release it.
However, you must continue holding on to the other 2 buttons (eject and volume) until your stereo comes on.
You can release these buttons once you see some details displayed on the screen.
- Highlight the INITIALIZE ALL button: When you check through the details displayed on the screen, you will find the INITIALIZE ALL button. Click on it.
The “now initializing” prompt pops up on the screen. This will be displayed for a few seconds.
- Complete the process: The stereo displays a message/instruction informing you to push the reset button to complete the initialize process. Push the button as instructed.
Afterward, your Excelon DDX stereo will return to out-of-the-box or factory settings.
Depending on the type of reset you wish to perform on your stereo, this process takes between 1-3 minutes on average.
How to Reset Kenwood Radio Bluetooth
- Press the phone button
- Turn the volume knob and select SETTINGS. Push the volume knob to register or activate the command
- PAIRING is shown on display. Push the volume knob to register or activate it
- Turn the volume knob until the DEVICE DELETE command shows on the display. Press the volume knob to activate or register this command
- The list of old or already paired devices comes up on display. You can turn the volume knob to navigate or access the complete list
- Once you see the phone you want to delete or get off the list, press the volume knob to select it
- Confirm that you want to delete the phone from your list of paired devices by turning the knob to YES. Again, press the knob button to register or activate this command.
If you want to delete more than a device, you can repeat these steps until you achieve the results/outcomes that you desire.
3 Best Kenwood Stereo
01. Kenwood Excelon DMX706S
- 95-inch touchscreen display (2-Din)
- Supports Spotify and Pandora
- AM/FM, Bluetooth, USB, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto
- Supports voice command
- 10 x 7.5 x 10 inches in dimension
- 08 pounds in weight
Kenwood Excelon DMX706S is equipped with numerous modern features to support pleasurable audio and visual experience.
This stereo is rated as one of the best in the market. It delivers significantly on users’ expectations by providing solid and consistent performance.
Although it is a bit pricey, the upgrade it brings to your vehicle’s audio system, most notably, the improvement in sound quality, makes up for the excesses.
The installation is straightforward. The owner’s manual is well-written, providing adequate and easy-to-follow steps to guide you along the way.
We love how fast the screen responds to swipe and touch for easy use/operation. The apps also launch at an incredible speed, eliminating lags or delays.
The stereo synchronizes with your smartphone, allowing you to access important functions such as phone calls, text messages, podcasts, and streaming services.
- Promotes safety while driving on the road by synchronizing with your smartphone
- You can connect a maximum of 5 devices at the same time
- Supports a wide range of media files
- Highly-responsive touchscreen
- No remote
- A bit costly
02. Kenwood Excelon DPX594BT
- 2-Din stereo
- AM/FM, Bluetooth, and USB
- Supports Pandora & Spotify
- Built-in Alexa
- 5 x 10.5 x 7 inches in dimension
- 24 pounds in weight
Kenwood Excelon DPX594BT is one of the affordable Kenwood stereos you can install on your vehicle.
This device can be operated with ease, and it supports an impressive sound upgrade.
Notable features that contribute to its incredible functionality and performance include its large buttons, the voice command, Bluetooth, and the remote app.
The Bluetooth connectivity supports a maximum connection of 5 devices at the same time.
You can switch between these devices at any point for an unrivaled music experience, especially while traveling across states or during one of those long road trips.
If you seek help with the installation or setup, you can consult the installation manual that comes in the box.
Also included in the package are the necessary tools and materials that you need to achieve an effortless installation process.
- Pocket-friendly design
- Easy control and adjustment can be made using the remote app
- The buttons are large to promote/support easy use
- Offers impressive and powerful sound quality
- The mounting instructions could be better
03. Kenwood KDC
- 1-Din stereo with detachable faceplate
- Bluetooth & USB connectivity
- Supports AM/FM, CD, MP3, Pandora, IHeartRadio, and Spotify
- 200W output power
- 6.22 x 7.17 x 2.09 inches in dimension
- 3 pounds in weight
Kenwood KDC brings a lot of improvements to your vehicle’s audio system at a pretty affordable price.
The stereo’s installation/connection can be done quickly, and it fits excellently well on your dashboard. There are no complications or difficulties involved.
If you need any help with installation or operation, a user’s manual is attached to the packaging box.
This manual contains necessary information that you will find helpful in resolving any issues or concerns.
The Bluetooth connectivity pairs quickly and smoothly with your smartphone.
This allows you to access your music files from the stereo and perform other functions such as making phone calls.
The stereo supports automatic reconnection to your Bluetooth device whenever you return to your car, starting from where it stopped during the last use.
Overall, the design is excellent for the price. Also, all the features contribute greatly to delivering satisfying and thrilling sound quality for an improved audio experience.
- A great replacement for factory receiver
- Bluetooth connectivity with smartphones is easy and smooth
- Impressive price and features
- Loads of audio settings for improved sound quality
- The display quality is affected by bright light
Common problems of Kenwood stereo
- Sound loss
- Stereo won’t power on
- Stereo may fail to connect with Bluetooth device
- Screen may freeze
- Buttons may stop working
FAQ’s of How To Reset Kenwood Car Stereo
When is Bluetooth reset done on a Kenwood stereo?
If you decide to pair your stereo with a new phone and there is no sufficient space to accommodate it — when the stereo has reached the maximum number of paired devices.
You will need to perform a reset to delete one of your old connections to accommodate the new device.
What is HF ERROR 68, and what should I do to fix it?
When this error message pops up on your stereo’s display, it means the stereo’s Bluetooth cannot interact or connect with your Bluetooth device.
If it keeps on showing continuously, you may have to conduct a reset to fix it.
How can I fix a Kenwood stereo that won’t power on?
If your Kenwood radio/stereo doesn’t power on. The first approach is to have the fuse checked for possible fault. Go to the back of your radio and inspect the fuse.
In case it has gone bad (blown). Get it replaced with a similar design (the amperage rating and color must be the same).
How Do I choose the best stereo to buy?
There are various brands of stereos on the market. To pick a valuable stereo for your audio setup and avoid quality-related issues.
You should focus and limit your search towards any of the established/popular brands.
Check through these brands’ catalogs and choose any design/model that you find fascinating. Remember to put your budget in view.
This limits unnecessary stress, allowing you to tailor your search accordingly.
How much does the best stereo cost?
If you want top-notch performance or experience from your audio system, make sure you avoid the designs that are offered at a very low price. On average, a top-quality stereo costs between $200 and $500.
We hope you have learned the basic techniques of how to reset Kenwood car radio, irrespective of the depth and type of reset that needs to be performed to get your stereo back on track.
Since the reset techniques are not fixed (varies from one model to another). You will need to follow the reset instructions peculiar to your stereo’s model for best outcomes.