BMW car owners how important it is to have a BMW speaker upgrade.
Speakers are essential; it lets you listen to your favorite car song, podcast, and even the latest news from the radio.
Car enthusiasts ensure that their car speakers give the best sound because this is how you really feel the music.
So, if you think that you need some upgrade to your BMW’s speaker, continue reading.
We will help you and guide you through the whole process of upgrading your car’s speaker.
- Can I Upgrade My BMW Sound System?
- What Brand Of Speakers does BMW Use?
- How To Make BMW Speaker Louder
- How Much Is It Cost To Upgrade a BMW Speaker?
- How Long Does It Take To Upgrade A BMW Speaker?
- BMW Speaker Upgrade Guide (Step-by-step)
- BMW Sound System Upgrade
Can I Upgrade My BMW Sound System?
The answer is straightforward; it’s a yes! You can upgrade your sound system.
Do some little research before upgrading your good system, and make sure it’s compatible with your car’s model.
What Brand Of Speakers does BMW Use?
Harman Kardon is the speaker brand that they use in their sound system.
BMW has been using this brand for over 30 years, and it gives the balanced sounds that your ears will love.
Harman Kardon is a trendy brand that not only BMW uses. There are a lot more products that use this type of speaker.
How To Make BMW Speaker Louder
Get an external amplifier. If you are unsatisfied with the sound of your stereo and you want more, getting an aftermarket amplifier will do.
Having a good amplifier will create a clear, pure, and less distorted sound.
How Much Is It Cost To Upgrade a BMW Speaker?
A speaker upgrade for the first stage can cost from $200 to $900, but if you want the whole system upgraded, it can cost more, up to $3000.
The price will vary depending on the level of upgrade that you want.
The $200 to $900 is for the speaker alone, and this speaker will vary depending on the brand you choose.
BMW’s speaker is never cheap, but you can ensure a good quality sound from it. Also, if you let someone do it for you, it will cost an additional charge.
How Long Does It Take To Upgrade A BMW Speaker?
It depends on what upgrade you will be doing to the BMW speaker. Adding an amplifier can take almost an hour or less because it doesn’t require any advanced steps.
Upgrading your system’s software can take only 20 minutes, so if you install the amplifier and the system update, two hours will be the maximum time needed.
It will depend on who will install it, if the person has enough experience, it will be much easier.
Tools Needed In BMW Speaker Upgrade
- Screw Drivers
- Flathead Tool
- Metal Remover Tool
- Bolt Extractor
BMW Speaker Upgrade Guide (Step-by-step)
If you want to upgrade your BMW’s speaker all by yourself, here’s the DIY step-by-step guide that can help you.
- Remove the panel from the bottom edge using your flathead tool. You don’t need too much force on this because only the metal clips hold in from the plastic fit.
- Remove all the torques. Most of the BMWs use Torque T20. Make sure that you remove all the hidden torques in the door.
- Remove the light at the bottom using the flat tool that you use to remove the panel.
- Unplug the light. Please make sure that they are 100% disconnected from the car door.
- You freed one of the clips using your flat tool. Use your fingers to slide in between the panel and the door gently, so your hand’s force will slowly detach the panel.
- Once the panel is removed, you can now remove the door handle. You can use your finger to disconnect it.
- Gently unhook the mid-bass driver with your hand.
- Remove the halogen light that serves as your under-door light.
- Disconnect the car window switch located underneath the mid-bass driver.
- Disconnect the lighting at the bottom part, and your panel will be free from the door attachment.
- Keep the panel safe together with the other boards and screws removed.
- Hook the excess cables together, so they won’t fall and break once stepped on.
- Remove the factory driver speaker. Use your screwdrivers and unscrew them slowly.
- After removing, attach the new driver using the reverse process to remove your old driver speaker.
- If you will attach a sound deadening, there is no right and wrong to do it. You can surround the driver speaker with sound deadening with any shape you like. You can apply this to the whole panel.
- To apply the deaning, you need to stick it flat and heat it using a hair blow dryer.
- Before you install back the front door panel, you need to replace the tweeter. You need to remove the tweeter pod to be able to do that.
- Remove the tweeter into the housing using the pick tool. Expose the tweeter and lift the foam-like, and it will expose the tweeter.
- After exposing, you can quickly get out the tweeter using the pick tool in its pod. It’s not difficult to remove.
- Replace the old tweeter with the new one and then do the reverse process to get it back to its old place.
- To re-install the door panel, you can first re-install the door handle. Make sure that you install it when the handle is in a close position.
- Reroute some cables for the organization of the wires.
- Install the window switch and mid-bass switch, and the track lighting. Plugin the tweeter
- You can now re-attach the panel to your door.
- The exact process is applicable on the other side of the car. So, if you are going for the next door, it’s the practically same process.
Back Seat Doors
- Remove the seat cushion. Use your hand, hold the edge, and then lift the car seat cushion.
- Just like the same process in the front door, you need to remove the door panel. To do that, you need to remove the bolts.
- Find the location of the bolt; most of the time, it’s underneath an edge, so using your flat tool remove the covers of the bolts.
- Remove the bolts using the drivers, and it uses Torque T20 as well.
- Peel the jam so when you pull the panel inward, it will not be stuck. The jam is like the rubberized type of material on the size of the door.
- Free the bottom edge by slightly removing the bottom panel.
- Now, you can do the same process to remove the front door board using your hands.
- Unplug everything that connects the board and the door; this is to free the board, including the one that connects the seat belt and the mid-bass.
- The back seat door panel has a fiberboard, and you need to remove it to expose the tweeter and the speaker.
- To remove the tweeter, unscrew the ring at the back of the tweeter.
- Detach the connection of the tweeter and the mid-bass speaker.
- Remove the screws of the mid-bass and replace them with the new driver.
- Do the reverse process to install the new one.
- You can also make the sound deadening, but this one is optional. Deadening is always your choice.
- Remove the old tweeter.
- Before you can change the old tweeter, you have to remove the plastic bump plate. You can use the metal panel removal tool.
- Once the tweeter is visible, you can now take a straight pick.
- Now, you can replace the tweeter that you remove with the new one.
- Screw the housing in its old location, and attach the new tweeter by doing the same process.
- To finish everything, you can do the reverse process of the detachment.
BMW Sound System Upgrade
01. BOSS Audio Systems CH6530
- 5-inch car speaker
- 3-way speaker
- 90dB Sensitivity
- Sold in pairs
- 5 lbs
The BOSS CH6530 is one compatible BMW speaker upgrade made from Polyurethane sith 6.5 inches size.
It’s one of the long-lasting products that give the best quality of sounds to your car.
The voice coil can endure high temperatures and yet still maintain its durability and burnout features.
The tweeter is more resistant and can do a crossover. It can resist any weather because of the rubber surround.
- Good quality product
- Perform very well for their size
- Good looking installation
- Tweeter pitch too high
02. JBL GTO629 Premium
- Built-in microphone
- Coaxial speaker
- Dual-level tweeter volume
- 15-180 Watts
Patented plus one woofer-cone technology
The JBL GTO629 is larger than others in their class. That means that it can create more bass, this is perfect for people who love to feel the bass more.
The tweeter allows you to aim the sound at your ear, so even if the tweeter is mounted on a lower level, it will create a lifelike sound.
A dual-level tweeter volume, this feature helps to compensate to get an almost perfect speaker placement.
This 3-ohm speaker has undersized wires, so it’s easier to install.
- Clear sound
- Fantastic sound
- No distortion
- It doesn’t fit on some cars
03. Rockford Fosgate P1675
- 75-inch size
- 65H – kHz
- 24 mounting depth
- 7 pounds
The Rockford Fosgate P1675 is a pair of 6.75 inches three-way speakers with 60 Watts RMS.
It is compatible with the shape of the default speaker location.
Installation of this product is easy and made with high-quality materials.
This comes with pair; you can change the speaker on both sides of your car.
The FlexFit basket design gives a better fit because it utilizes slots.
It has an injection-molded cone made of polypropylene that improves the overall quality of the speaker.
Rockford Fosgate is a trendy brand that sells automobile accessories like stereos.
- Great bass
- Reliability in a small package
- Easy installation
- Sometimes it needs modification.
Most Common BMW Speaker Problems
- No Sound
- Erratic Volume
- No Bass
- Loud Static
What would cause car speakers to stop working?
There are many reasons why your speakers will stop working, and if they stop all at once, the problem will usually be in the head unit, wiring, or in the amplifier.
If only one speaker stops working, maybe the wiring in that speaker is the problem, but sometimes a single speaker can cause all the speakers to stop all at once.
These problems can be because of overheating, or maybe because the speaker is burnt out already for the age.
Can I upgrade my BMW to Harman Kardon?
Yes, BMW speakers can upgrade to that. Most BMWs use this speaker brand, and you can easily upgrade your old one to other Harman Kardon products.
This brand is outstanding because they use high-quality materials for this system. Many best devices use Harman Kardon because it has a good quality sound.
Does upgrading car speakers make a difference?
Yes, upgrading will make a huge difference. Replacing your stock speakers with aftermarket car audio speakers is the key to getting better.
There are different brands of speakers in the market that you can buy. You have the freedom to choose which one is the perfect fit for your BMW.
Where To Buy BMW Speakers
There are many ways to buy your upgraded speakers. There are online stores where you can buy them so that you can purchase them with convenience.
You can also buy it in a physical store that sells automobile accessories.
Is Harman Kardon BMW worth it?
Yes, it’s worth it. It is better at everything, from the amplifier, equalizer, and sound-producing.
If you are aiming for a top-quality sound for your car, upgrade with Harman Kardon.
This type of speaker can cost up to $1000. It will depend on the kind of speaker that you choose.
Upgrading your speakers is not easy; you have to consider things before you purchase one.
If you are planning to do the upgrading by yourself, this article can help you.
BMW is not a cheap car, so the speakers may not be inexpensive as well; however, the quality is perfect, that’s why anyone loves it.
- Everything You Need to Know About Best Speakers For Retail Store Sound System 2022
- Tips & Tricks of Upgrading Car Speakers Without Amp
- 13 Best 3.5 Car Speakers Reviews – The Advanced Guide of Car Audio Speaker
- Top 10 Best Car Speakers For Bass Without Subwoofer in 2022 – Perfect For Better Sound Quality
- Top Rated 13 Best 1 Ohm Stable Amplifier Reviewed & Buyer’s Guide of 2022